Austonia Trades P/L has developed this policy to provide a safe and healthy workplace for all workers, subcontractors and visitors. This policy outlines the rules, responsibilities and procedures for First Aid. Austonia Trades P/L is committed to providing prompt and effective first aid treatment to all persons in the workplace to minimise the severity of an injury or illness.
This policy applies across the organisation of Austonia Trades P/L and all workplaces under our control.
- Appoint a First Aid officer(s) with a current First Aid certificate for the workplace and each worksite;
- Clearly identify First Aid roles and responsibilities;
- Have an effective, prompt and coordinated approach to the provisions of First Aid to all workers and visitors;
- Arrange refresher courses for First Aid officers before their certificates expire;
- Provide First Aid kits appropriate for the number of workers for the treatment of injuries and illnesses. First aid kits must be kept in a prominent, clean and an easily accessible location known to all workers and portable first aid kits available.
- First aid facilities appropriate for the number of workers and the workplace; and
- Consult with workers about this First Aid Policy.
- Comply with the rules of this policy;
- Report all injuries so they can be treated and recorded in the Incident and Injury Register.
- Respond to any reasonable request to help with first aid; and
- Participate in workplace consultation and/or training in regard to first aid.
First Aid Officers must:
- Provide a quick and competent first aid response;
- Recognise their limitations and only administer or carry out duties that have been included in their training;
- Remain with an injured or ill person until no further treatment or assistance is required, or until the person is handed over to ambulance or other medical personnel, unless the officer’s personal safety is at risk;
- Fulfil their responsibilities and maintain their qualifications to continue the appointment as a First Aid officer;
- Provide initial First Aid attention when necessary to any worker and the public whilst on work premises;
- Conduct monthly audits on the contents of all First Aid kits and restock supplies when required including when use by dates have expired;
- Make sure a notice is displayed, on or near any First Aid Kit they are responsible for, detailing their name, telephone number and work location;