Austonia Trades P/L has developed this policy to outline the safe and responsible use of Mobile Phones for workers. There is no scientific data as yet to prove there are any long-term effects to mobile phone usage, although the distraction of using a mobile phone while needing to concentrate on driving a vehicle or operating in or around other plant and/or machinery is a real risk to the safety of the operator and others near by. This policy outlines the rules, responsibilities and procedures for the mobile phones and usage.
This policy applies across the organisation of Austonia Trades P/L and all workplaces under our control.
- Use a land line wherever possible;
- Limit the number and duration of calls where practical;
- Always use a handsfree set when using your mobile phone especially when driving, although it is recommended to avoid using the mobile phone while driving as it can be a distraction;
- Turn off the mobile phone at service stations;
- Never use a mobile phone while operating plant and equipment;
- Notify your supervisor if your mobile phone is required for medical, critical care or emergency usage:
- All mobile phone contact numbers remain confidential unless open distribution of numbers is agreed by the owner;
- Workers abuse of phone privilege and whose behaviour has placed their safety or others at risk will be subject to disciplinary procedures; and
- Photography and Social Media use at work is strictly prohibited;
PCBU’s and Supervisors must:
- Implement and audit this policy;
- Inform all workers of this policy;
- Make sure that all workers understand the organisation’s mobile phone policy and their roles and responsibilities;
- Monitor mobile phone usage;
- Comply with the rules of this policy;
- Use the mobile phone for work purposes only if required; and
- Always advise the organisation of any change in mobile phone contact numbers.