Austonia Trades P/L has developed this policy to provide a healthy and safe workplace for workers and others. The company will make every effort to eliminate or control risks and only use PPE when there is no other alternative to protect the workers from the hazard. This policy outlines the rules, responsibilities and procedures for PPE use, maintenance and storage.
This policy applies across the organisation of Austonia Trades P/L and all workplaces under our control.
- Make sure the PPE issued is fitted correctly and is appropriate for the tasks performed;
- Wear and use appropriate PPE when required in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and for it’s intended purpose;
- Participate in consultation and training regarding the correct fitting, use, maintenance and storage of PPE;
- Workers must inspect their PPE to make sure it is in good working condition, maintain and store their PPE safely. The PPE remains the property of the company;
- Inform the PCBU/supervisor if PPE has not been issued or is unsuitable or unwearable; and
- Workers whose behaviour has placed the safety of themselves or other at risk will be subject to disciplinary procedures.
- Implement and review this policy;
- Inform all workers of this policy;
- Provide PPE without any cost to the worker;
- Provide resources, information, training and supervision to allow workers to adhere to the rules and have the knowledge and resources to fit, use, maintain and store their PPE and follow the procedures and understand their roles and responsibilities;
- Consult with workers about the use of PPE;
- Make sure all PPE items purchased are manufactured to the relevant Australian Standards, and used, maintained and stored in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations;
- Record all PPE issued to a worker; and
- Replace all PPE due to ‘wear and tear’ by the worker.