Austonia Trades P/L has developed this policy to create a safe and healthy workplace for workers, contractors and visitors. Shiftwork can lead to stress or excessive fatigue due to the disturbances in the body’s natural rhythms and may influence safe work practises. This policy outlines the rules, responsibilities and procedures for Shiftwork.
This policy applies across the organisation of Austonia Trades P/L and across all workplaces under this organisations control.
- Report incidents/ accidents, near misses and other hazards; and
- Notify the PCBU/supervisor if fatigue may affect work safety.
- Implement and review this policy;
- Monitor work conditions and work performance;
- Approve all rostered shifts;
- Approve all on call shifts;
- Approach a worker if their fatigue may affect work safety;
- Keep confidential records of injuries and ‘near misses’;
- Provide information to and train all workers about the potential health and safety impacts of fatigue at work; and
- Meet with workers to consult them on all issues of Work Health and Safety (WHS) hazard identification and hazard control, safe work procedures and training.
- Comply with the rules of this policy;
- Participate in any training relating to this policy;
- Utilise breaks provided within and between shifts to rest and recuperate;
- Recognise signs of sleep deprivation and/or fatigue and the impact on themselves and others and report to their PCBU or supervisor the circumstances in which fatigue and lack of sleep is impacting on individuals well being and workplace safety; and
- Report incidents/ accidents, near misses and other hazards to relevant officers.